General Motors (GM) initially planned on revamping their Chevy Equinox model for this year (2021). Unfortunately, the automaker faced obstacles related to the coronavirus pandemic, thus, these revisions were postponed until 2022.
Nevertheless, the 2021 Chevrolet Equinox will at least get some small but significant changes from the previous year, which encompasses the elimination of two equipment groups and one engine option.
For LT models, the 2LT equipment group and for Premier models, the 3LZ equipment group have been scrapped. Their elimination is related to the ceasing of the turbocharged 2.0L LTG engine (we’ll discuss later).
Externally, the 2021 Chevy Equinox will also get rid of two exterior color options, which are Chocolate Metallic and Cayenne Orange Metallic.
Inhouse, the Equinox SUV embraces the Leather Package into its color palette. Namely:
- Jet Black perforated leather-appointed seating
- Memory settings
- Inside rearview auto-dimming mirror
- Outside heated power-adjustable and auto-dimming mirrors
As previously mentioned, the 2LT and 3LZ equipment groups will be eliminated. In addition, the following mechanical components will also retire. Specifically:
- Turbocharged 2.0L I-4 LTG engine
- 9-speed automatic transmission
- Trailering equipment
- Factory-installed trailer hitch
- Trailer hitch closeout cover
- 4,850 lbs. GVWR
- 3.17 axle ratio
- 17-inch front and 16-inch rear 4-wheel antilock disc brakes
- Dual-outlet stainless-steel exhaust
- 17-inch steel spare wheel
- 17-inch compact spare tire
As a result of the removal of the LTG engine, the 2021 Equinox SUV will now be offered solely with one engine choice, which is the turbocharged 1.5L LYX inline four-cylinder. This motor has an output of 170 horsepower and 203 lb-ft of torque. Remarkably, the engine is partnered with a 6-speed automatic transmission for each trim, and the car will continue to offer either a front-wheel or all-wheel-drive configuration.
The automaker’s Midnight Edition now involves the following features:
- Jet Black premium cloth (substitutes Jet Black perforated leather-appointed seating)
- Exclusive mold-in-color black grille and mesh with black surround
- Dark finish fog lamp bezel surround
- Front and rear Black bow ties
- 19-inch Gloss Black aluminum wheels
2021 Chevrolet Equinox Factories
The construction of the 2021 Chevrolet Equinox is done at the following factories:
- GM Ramos plant located in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico managed by GM Mexico
- GM CAMI plant located in Ontario, Canada managed by GM Canada
- GM-SAIC Wuhan II located in Hubei, China managed by Shanghai-GM
- Deliveries of the latest Equinox started in Q3 2020, which is to say that the units were already on dealership lots.
Furthermore, Chevy’s SUV will get its comprehensive revamp for the 2022 model year. Following this, it is expected that the Equinox will stay in production until 2023-2024, which will mark the beginning of a new generation where the compact will be replaced with an all-new model.
Miami Lakes Automall
When the time finally comes to purchase your new 2021 Chevrolet Equinox, be sure to do it at Miami Lakes Automall. We carry an extensive range of Chevrolet models that have a variety of different styles and prices.
Those who are interested in any of our models can simply view our online new car inventory and chat with a representative for further assistance.