Kia took the world by surprise when it unveiled its funky new crossover in 2010. The Soul was designed to appeal to a younger demographic, and offered up a sporty, unique style that no other vehicle on the market could match. Whether you are driving a conservative Kia Soul in the North East, or have opted for a brightly colored Kia Soul in Miami – the thousands of available options truly know no bounds.
What captured the attention of even more Americans, was the commercial advertisements Kia created for the Soul. Complete with computer-derived rapping hamsters, Kia showcased just how “cool” their new crossover could be. Whether or not you think that hip-hop hamsters fall under the definition of cool, is beside the point. Kia set out to make a bold statement with a crossover unlike any other on the market, and it did so with the help of hamsters. Even if you have never seen a Soul in person, you no doubt connected the hamster commercials to the car as soon as you heard the name – Kia Soul.
Coolest Crossover on the Road
The crossover segment here in America is a crowded one. Not only is it the fastest growing new car segment, it is also full of competition. What Kia solidified when they designed the Soul, is that there would never be a true competitor to their crossover.
The boxy frame of the Kia Soul gives the crossover immediate distinction in its class, along with the thousands of configurations drivers can opt for when choosing their Soul. After having been on the market for four years, Kia gave the Soul a complete redesign for the 2014 model year. The change was exactly what the crossover needed to remain relevant, and keep up its reputation as the coolest crossover on the road.
Hamsters are no longer representing the Soul on commercial advertisements, but the uniqueness and styling of Kia’s boxy crossover are still very much alive and well. For 2016, the Soul received some changes, including new trim levels and options.
10 Reasons Why We Think the 2016 Soul is the Coolest Crossover in America
Forget the hamsters. Forget every preconceived notion that you have of the Kia Soul. Instead, open up your mind to the pure awesomeness that is the Kia Soul. It may not be the next Pope-mobile, and it certainly won’t be seen toting your Grandma around town, but the 2016 Kia Soul has a unique line of street cred, that we think is pretty impressive. Check out our favorite 10 things about the new Kia Soul, by exploring below.
- Best Named Trim Levels: We started off by saying that the Soul was designed for a younger generation. Every aspect of the Soul helps to appeal to that younger crowd, including the different trim level names. Available in either a Base, + (Plus), or ! (Exclaim) trim level, the Kia Soul can be as ordinary, positive, or awesome, as you want. With these symbols, no explanation is needed.
- Price: The new Soul starts at just $15,690, and the premium Exclaim model has a low starting MSRP of just $21,090. Not many crossovers in the segment have such a low starting price point, which is another way the Soul keeps its competition on their toes.
- Available as an EV: That’s right, one of the most relevant crossovers available just gained even more traction. The 2016 Soul EV starts at $31,950 before tax incentives, and offers a driving range of 93 miles on a single charge. Complete with a DC Fast Charge port, the most environmentally friendly Kia Soul. is also convenient to own.
- Efficient: These days, being cool means saving the planet. Keep all of the extra room, and save the planet at the same time with the Kia Soul. With an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 31 miles per gallon on the highway, the new Soul will save you money at the pump, and save the Earth from destruction.
- Tech Savvy: Right up there with saving the environment, is the desire to be technologically advanced. Kia made sure that the 2016 Soul was packed with the latest technologies, and has lovingly called it the Soul’s Mobile Gadget Lab. The 4.3-inch LCD display offers a rear camera display, Pandora Radio capability, and Kia’s advanced UVO system. Control your smartphone with your voice or the touch of a button, and keep up to date on all of your vehicle diagnostics. Drivers can also add an 8-inch touchscreen for an even bigger “wow” factor, and the on board Jukebox will help ensure entertainment on the road ahead.
- Award Winning: The Kia Soul has won countless awards over the years, further legitimizing the coolness of the crossover. For 2015, the Soul took home JD Power’s “Highest Ranked Compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle in Initial Quality,” an honor that is as impressive as it is highly sought after. The Soul has earned top safety awards from both the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety, as well as the government’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Other accolades include “Best Hatchback for Families” by U.S. News and World Report, and the 2015 Most Popular award from Edmunds.com.
- Brings the Outside In: The 2016 Kia Soul offers drivers an optional panoramic sunroof. This fully automatic feature allows a complete open air feel, with the security and practicality of an actual roof.
- Storage Practicality: The 2016 Soul offers plenty of awesome storage features to help maximize cargo capacity. The in-floor storage compartments are hidden to be out of sight when you don’t need them, and can open up for full use when the time comes. With built-in spacers, the entire floor of the rear cargo area is transformed into an organizer’s dream.
- Safety: A point that we already touched on, the Kia Soul is one of the safest crossovers on the road. With advanced dual front air bags, dual front seat-mounted side airbags, and full length curtain airbags – the entire interior cabin of the Soul becomes a pillowy security blanket in the event of a collision. Hill Start Assist Control, Electronic Stability Control, Side-Impact Door Beams, Vehicle Stability Management, and a tire-pressure monitoring system, come standard on all 2016 Soul models. Driving a safe vehicle is about as cool as you can get, in our opinion.
- Countless Accessories: The 2016 Kia Soul comes equipped with some impressive features, but the list of available accessories will really make your Soul stand out in a crowd. From side mirror chrome caps, puddle lights, alloy wheel accent kit, sport pedals, red zone floor mats, and a rear lip spoiler – your Kia Soul can be as unique as you want it to be. What can be cooler than standing out from the crowd, and being as unique as possible?
Without a doubt, the 2016 Kia Soul is the coolest crossover on the road today. From incredible fuel economy ratings, a low starting MSRP, and accessories that help make your Soul become a part of who you are, there is no question of this fact. Be sure to come down to Miami Lakes Kia to take the Soul for a test drive today, and see for yourself why it is the most unique crossover available.