10 Reasons the Sedona is Too Cool for School
The minivan has been a necessary evil ever since the concept was invented by Chrysler over thirty years ago. The convenience of the sliding back doors is unmistakable, as is the spacious interior layout. The minivan is the vehicle everyone loves to hate. As much as you may end up ridiculing the minivan in your youth, you become a parent and can’t imagine life without one.
Kia realized that the stigma surrounding the minivan segment wasn’t the greatest, so they set out to make major changes to their minivan model. The result? The 2016 Kia Sedona. Well, this revolutionary new take on the minivan started back in 2015, but the most latest Sedona model has everyone talking.
10 Reasons Why the Sedona is Too Cool for School
The Korean automaker wants you to forget everything you think you know about the minivan. Rather, imagine the perfect family vehicle that is practical, functional, and above all else - really, really cool.
Kia took some serious steps to accomplish the appearance and performance of the Sedona, and their hard work has certainly paid off. Take a look at ten ways the new Sedona is more than a family “grocery getter,” and a truly cool vehicle.
- It’s Actually NOT a Minivan: Kia took the liberty of renaming the minivan segment when they redesigned the Sedona for the 2015 model. The negative connotations associated with the term “minivan” did not describe the new Sedona anymore. Instead, the Korean automaker coined the term “Multi-Purpose Vehicle,” or MPV. Now that the Sedona has shed the minivan name, we can move through the rest of our list with the truly cool Sedona MPV.
- New Design Matches its New MVP Status: While a name certainly says a lot about anyone or anything, it isn’t the only aspect of the Sedona Kia transformed in an effort to move away from the minivan stigma. Designers at Kia re-imagined the Sedona from the ground up, adding luxury and amenities to every nook and cranny. When the 2015 Sedona made its world debut at the 2014 New York Auto Show, this change was so impressive that it was recognized with the “Best New Car Design.”
- As ‘Un-Minivan’ As You Can Get: Well, without actually transforming into an SUV, that is. The stylistic changes on the exterior of the Sedona were made to more closely resemble an SUV, while staying as far from the traditional minivan look as possible. The bloated and round body associated with the segment is all but gone, replaced by a sculpted and handsome exterior. A spoiler adds a sporty edge to the rear of the Sedona, while the front fascia gives off an air of attitude. As they say, “This Ain’t Your Momma’s Minivan.”
- Interior Luxury at its Best: Who says that minivans have to feature basic interiors? Even if you are using it as your main means of child transportation, you still deserve an amenity-rich cabin. Aside from that fact, statistics show that the second largest minivan purchaser is the active older adult. Whether you are a mom with four young kids, or are young at heart out to explore the world, you should be wrapped in luxury. From rich Nappa Leather-wrapped seats, to optional second row lounge seating, the 2016 Sedona feels more like a living room on wheels, than a minivan. Real wood accent trim brings the interior design together, along with convenient options like power and heated seating.
- Flexible Cargo Space: Regardless of how you are using your Kia Sedona, storage is important in this type of vehicle. Kia offers first-in-class Slide-N-Stow seating for the new Sedona, allowing the second row to stow in the upright position, while the third row disappears effortlessly into the floor.
- Awesome Interior Solutions: Heading out for a long road trip, and forgot to pack your cooler of soda? Instead of running to the store for ice, throw up to five of your favorite cans of soda in the cooling glove box. Grab a cold beverage on the road, without getting water everywhere. Throughout the rest of the cabin, passengers can stay plugged in and powered up with up to eight outlets. These include three 12V, one AUX/USB port, two AC power outlets, and two USB rapid charging ports. Conveniently located throughout the entire Sedona, there is always an outlet at arm’s reach.
- Safely Keep an Eye on Your Precious Cargo: The standard rear view Conversation Mirror helps drivers stay focused on the road ahead, while keeping an eye on their most precious cargo. The mirror comes with every Sedona model, and can easily be stored in the ceiling when not in use. Such a simple piece of convenience that offers incredible peace of mind.
- Centered on Technology: Let’s face it, a vehicle without technology has to try really hard to be cool. The 2016 Sedona has no problem fitting in, with plenty of intelligent technology upgrades and features. The next generation UVO system from Kia allows your Sedona to transform into a tech-centered vehicle. From directions, smartphone integration, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, and more - the UVO system from Kia is determined to keep you connected. Also featuring Siri Eyes Free technology, your iPhone is immediately and seamlessly integrated into your driving experience.
- Advanced Safety Technology: Just as important as the fun technology, is the safety features on the new Sedona. With the option to add Rear Alert technology with a rear-view camera, Blind Spot Detection, Collision Avoidance technology, and a Lane Drift warning system, your Sedona will keep you and your loved ones safe. Drivers can also opt to add Surround View Monitor System, which allows for a bird’s eye view of your Sedona, directly on the vehicle’s large touch screen display. Parking has never been easier.
- Powerful and Responsive: Last, but certainly not least, is the power under the Sedona’s hood. The 3.3-liter direct-injection V6 engine manages an impressive 248 lb.-ft. of torque, and 276 horsepower. The 2016 Sedona can tow up to 3,500 pounds, while still remaining responsive and nimble around every corner. It’s the only car in its segment that doesn’t need a boat behind it to be considered “cool,” but can pull one anyway.
The latest Kia Sedona is truly transforming the minivan segment, pulling far ahead of the competition in just about every way imaginable. Be sure to check it out in person, and see for yourself everything that makes the Sedona too cool for school.